Thursday, February 9, 2012

The Writer's Block Interviews: Illustrator Joyeeta Neogi



1)     Please share with us your background and why you chose being an artist as your profession.
Hi Raychelle, thanks for the invite, and I am honored to be here today!

I am Joyeeta Neogi children’s book illustrator residing at Pune, India with my six year old daughter and husband. I grew up in a family filled with art and inspiration. I've always loved books and drawing, although I've taken the long way round to becoming a children's book illustrator.
 Drawing has always been a passion of mine. I have always loved to draw and paint. At school, I used to do little drawings to amuse my classmates, I would always be drawing and doodling, filling pads of paper, but the greater source of inspiration was my mother, Shikha Biswas an established artist, so looking back I think it was inevitable.

2)    Describe how you began working with Happily Ever After Me, LLC. 

Last year I met Stacey Shannon, Creative Director/Writer at Happily Ever After Me, LLC on an online forum. She started with me with an adoption story book and liked the illustrations I made for the book. Since then, it has been an enjoyable journey working with her. I am glad to be a part of “HEAM” as an illustrator.
 "Happily Ever After Me” creates storybooks and poetry prints, along with other custom products. They capture the stories of favorite memories, childhood dreams, and life's most unforgettable moments that will be cherished for years to come.

Here are some links of work we produced together.



3)     Where do you find inspiration? Describe your creative process.

I take inspiration from everywhere, children, surroundings, drawing inspiration from my childhood memories and my own child growing up.
I like to have a set routine when working on a book. Always develop the character first; I go with where my characters want to take me. Once the characters fit the brief the rest seems to fall into place. After sketching the characters I scan them and work on my computers and begin with the coloring process. I work in both digital and traditional media. But most of my recent works are based on digital media.

4)     When did you start illustrating children's books?

I started working as a fashion designer and illustrator in a garment buying house for about more than four years. After coming to Pune, I started working as a freelance illustrator through online forum. I always wanted to have a job that involved art in some way. Eventually I found that children’s illustration was the direction I wanted to pursue with my work.
And from last two years I have been working as a children’s book illustrator. I am a full-time freelancer and work with clients from all over the world. I create quality Illustrations for children’s market for illustrated story books, custom story books, greeting cards, posters, fashion illustrations. I enjoy illustrating children's books and find nothing better than making people happy with my work. Please visit my website and blog for some samples.

5)     Describe your illustration style. What are your favorite mediums?

I work for both cartoon and realistic style but I think I am more inclined towards realistic style and detailing. Love doing Illustrations in Photoshop Illustrator with quality artwork in vibrant color.
I work in various mediums: oil paint, pastels, crayons, colored pencil, watercolor, and digital .

 
6)     What do you read?

Growing up, we always had shelves full of books at home. We were encouraged to read, mainly fairytales and fables, and adventure stories.
In children’s books, I love Lynne Chapman and Tim Warnes’s work… I love Laura Logan illustrations, Sherry Rogers’s work; Will Terry is a fantastic illustrator. Axel Scheffler’s and Sue Shananan’s, Mirela Tufan, and Linmida  illustrations  are great .There are too many to name! I like lots of different artists all around the world.

7)    Are you a writer? Why or why not?

No, I am not a writer but (I) love to read what others write so beautifully.

8)     Tell us about some of your latest illustration projects.


Recently, I completed a bright and colourful book illustration, “Charlie and Isabella meet Jacob” by Felicity McCullough.   The colour illustrations tell the story about the adventures of two Angora goats named Charlie and Isabella. It was a pleasure working with Felicity McCullough.
The Kindle edition, paperback, (and) hardcover are out on Amazon.
Check the links at Amazon:


I completed a Fairy tale series with thirty Illustrations for Edcon Publishing Group. I loved working with them. Check the link for some of the Illustration on iTunes store and Amazon Kindle.



 


 I recently finished two children’s books with Author J.C.Martin











I just completed one story with Author V. Honey Hall, “Home Away from Home”; it is in the publishing process.

9)    What is your definition of success?

Everyone defines success in their own way. To me, success is the inner satisfaction which I get through illustrating children's books. Entertaining people with images I've created is something I thrive on. I feel so fortunate to be able to do this for a living and I am grateful to every client I have worked for.

10)    What do you hope to accomplish in 2012?

I want to try lots of different mediums, different techniques, materials textures and styles to my illustrations. Apart from this I am working on an Interactive children’s story for Ipad App. This is the first time I am attempting to Illustrate as well as write (with my husband’s help and my kids suggestions) an interactive children’s story book that hopefully my kids and others will enjoy when published.


Contact Joyeeta:


Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Njoyee


Happily Ever After Me, LLC http://www.happilyeverafterme.com/

9 comments:

  1. What an honor and privilege, Raychelle, thank you so much for the invite and publishing my interview !

    It’s so exciting to see my illustrations on your wonderful site!!
    Thank you for your efforts and helping everyone from Author and Illustrator community to build a platform where we can grow together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous interview! I loved reading this so much! Thank you so much for the HEAM mentions as well. Joyee is truly amazing!!!

    I can't wait to see your interactive children's book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you enjoyed the interview Stacey! It was wonderful meeting you as well. Thank you so much, for the compliments and for stopping by !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much Deepali for your kind words ,loved your mood board blog stuff and so happy for you !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to go Joyeeta. You are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely art work Joyeeta,keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joyeeta, you are an inspiration for me. You are a sheer joy... keep up the good work... reading your interview was a feeling too good to be expressed in words... am happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I shared this story on my Mim Bizic Facebook page! We like to make BEES for our last name, as we pronounce it "Bee-zic!" Great illustrations too!

    Joyetta, like you, I'm grateful to Raychelle for posting our stories!

    ReplyDelete