Thursday, March 22, 2012

The Writer's Block Interviews: Linda Joy Singleton



1) Describe your journey to becoming an author.

I wrote as a kid but put writing aside for a job, marriage, and kids until I was nearly 30 when I joined a local writing group. This led to a critique group and attending conferences where I learned so much that I sold my first book (chapter book) within a few years. After that I did some work for hire, writing a Sweet Valley Twin, 5 Sweet Dreams romances for teens, and two Pick Your Own Dream Date books. I finally got an agent after trying many years, and she sold my first original kid series, MY SISTER THE GHOST to Avon Books. I continued to write series: CHEER SQUAD, REGENERATION, STRANGE ENCOUNTERS, THE SEER, DEAD GIRL and my recently released book BURIED: A GOTH GIRL MYSTERY from Flux.



2) What kinds of books do you write? Who is your ideal reader?


I mostly write books for teens, although adults read them, too. Anyone who loves books is my ideal reader.



 3) Where do you find your inspiratiion?

 I'm inspired by people, places and my imagination; always wondering what would happen "IF."



 4) How do you choose your publisher(s)? 

I used to study the marketplace, but now I leave marketing/submitting to my agent.


 5) Who are your favorite authors? What is on your reading list right now?

I'm a huge fan of YA and midgrade fiction. Holly Black, Maria V Snyder, Suzanne Collins, J.K. Rowling, Tamora Pierce, Dawn Lairamore and many more.
Currently reading: INTERROGATION OF GABRIEL JAMES by Charlie Price.



6) How do you promote your work? What methods have worked best for you?

 Facebook, Twitter and yahoogroups keep me in contact with friends & fans. I also speak at writing conferences and school/library events.


 7) What are your upcoming plans for 2012?

Speaking at Left Coast Crime in Sacramento, Roseville Literary Festival in April, SCBWI Spring Spirit Conference in April and some more plans in the works.


 8) What is your definition of success as an author?


It keeps changing. Publishers judge authors by sales, so that's a big consideration. I feel like a success when fans tell me they love my books.


 9) What advice would you offer to aspiring authors?


Don't rush to publishing without learning about craft and rewriting. I believe the saying: books aren't written, they're rewritten. I rewrite, rewrite and rewrite, and I love how much each rewrite improves my book.


 
Author Bio

Linda Joy Singleton has published over 35 YA & MG books about Goths, psychics, mermaids, aliens, cheerleaders, clones, parallel worlds and ghosts. Her YA series, THE SEER and DEAD GIRL, were honored as YALSA Popular Paperback/Quick Picks. When Linda isn't writing, she enjoys reading, movies, country walks, camping, bowling, watching reality shows and collecting vintage girl series mysteries like Nancy Drew, Judy Bolton and Trixie Belden. She lives with her husband, David in Northern California, in a country home where she’s surrounded by horses, peacocks, dogs, wild turkeys and demanding cats.


 Contact Linda

Website: www.LindaJoySingleton.com

Twitter:  www.twitter.com/lindajoysinglet

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lindajoysingleton

No comments:

Post a Comment