Wednesday, March 21, 2012

The Writer's Block Interviews: Tiah Short (DC Bookdiva)

1) Who is DC Bookdiva?

DC Bookdiva is the name given to me on the streets of Washington, DC. I have several mobile bookstore locations in and around the DC Metropolitan area. They couldn’t call me a man so they coined me "The Bookdiva".


2) Do you specialize in any particular genre(s)?

African-American fiction.


3) Tell us about your most recent projects.

In addition to the mobile book store, I own DC Bookdiva Publications, and I am the founder of Urban Literary Review Radio. To date, most of my attention is focused on DC Bookdiva Publications, we have a team of seven authors (the lucky seven as I call them) and all of them have multiple projects with the company. We plan to release five titles this year.


4) How do you promote your authors? What strategies have been the most successful?

I use many outlets to promote my team. I am known for non-traditional book signings, up close and personal meet and greets, and internet marketing. Depending on what the subject matter is, I use different techniques to draw attention to our titles. Each book released has a marketing plan treatment.



5) What services do you provide?

I try to assist new authors as much as possible, but at this time, I mainly provide a retail outlet for authors not signed to my label to be seen and promoted. As far as my authors on my label, they are backed with promotional and marketing opportunities and in-house publicity. We work as a team to push the brand and our books to the forefront in person and online.


6) Tell us about Urban Literary Review Radio.

Urban Literary Review is my baby; we are one of the first, if not the first talk shows dedicated to people of color on the blogtalkradio.com network. Martin Pratt is the co-founder and since my hiatus he has continued to move forward with the brand, expanding the show to syndication in several states. If you check our archives you will see that we have interviewed many industry leaders in addition to providing great resources and tips that many new authors and publishers can use.


7) What do you plan to accomplish in 2012?

So far this year, we have released two titles: Secrets Never Die by Eyone Williams, A Valentine’s Day Massacre by Pinky Dior and forthcoming are our follow-up titles to our titles released last year.


8) What advice would you give to budding writers?

Stays focused, grounded, do your research, learn the business, and pace yourself. This industry has changed for the past seven years that I have been in it. Stay innovative and think out of the box.


9) What is your definition of success as a publisher?

Coming from a family of entrepreneurs, I would have to say being independent. I can’t stress enough how important it is to create your own wealth and to tap into your own self-worth. My grandmother has always told me to create my own job, create something that no one can take from you.

Contact Tiah Short


President and CEO
DC Bookdiva Publications
1866-928-9990 Ext 1
202-478-2158-Fax
In Stores and Available on E-Readers Now!

Up The Way, Ben

Dynasty, Dutch- Nominated for Best Street Fiction of the Year 2010- African American Literary Award

Dynasty 2, Dutch
Trina, Darrell Debrew
A Killer'z Ambition, Nathan Welch
Lorton Legends, Eyone Williams
A Beautiful Satan, RJ Champ
The Hustle, Frazier Boy
Available Now from our Urban E-reads series! Available on The Nook and Kindle
The Cross, Eyone Williams
Hazel Eyes, Pinky Dior
Stella, DC Bookdiva

Coming Soon!
Que, Dutch
A Hustler's Daughter, Pinky Dior
Secrets Never Die, Eyone Williams

1 comment: