Sunday, July 29, 2012

NaNoWriMo Revisited-Part 5

 
NaNoWriMo is a contest which challenges writers to pen a novel in 30 days. Coined, "30 days of literary abandon", participants are instructed to turn off their internal editors and just write. Please keep in mind that what you have been reading are the rough beginnings of what may one day be my first novel. I didn't outline my plot or do an in-depth character analysis. On November 1st 2011, I simply powered on the desktop, opened a Word document, and started writing. It's an attempt I plan to make yet again this November that I might even finish~who knows? All and all, I enjoy reviewing old projects and decided to share this one with you. Just keep in mind that this work is hardly ready for submission, publication, etc...

I hope that you have enjoyed the four previous installments of Marrying Dad. Here is the 5th and final post  but if you are just joining us, click on the links below to parts 1-4 and get caught up:

Marrying Dad- Part 1 
Marrying Dad- Part 2
Marrying Dad- Part 3
Marrying Dad- Part 4  

****************************** 

Marrying Dad- Part 5
by Raychelle Muhammad

      I remember when Mom took the home pregnancy test. Dad had been out of town on business for a month. She was incredibly stressed out because this was the longest he had been away and his business didn’t usually require such long stays. He said that he was making several presentations at a social networking conference in California and then had new client meetings plus two marketing campaign launches to oversee. “The firm is expanding” he would explain. Mom didn’t trust that this was all business. When he didn’t call to say good night or answer the phone late in the evening, she would pace and worry just like she would when he was home and “working late”. Once or twice a week, Mom would take me to Grandma’s so that she could “have the night off”. I often wondered what she needed the night off from because Dad wasn’t here to drive her crazy. Why couldn’t she enjoy the break she was already getting? 
     When Dad got back from his trip, Mom planned a special evening for them. Off to Grandma’s I went—for the weekend. I generally had a ball when I went to visit my grandmother. She let me do everything Mom wouldn’t let me do at home. I got to stay up late and help cook dinner. We always went special places and Grandma would let me talk about anything that was on my mind. She didn’t fuss over my clothes if I spilled something on them. We would spend a lot of time in Grandma’s finished attic which served as her art studio and sewing room. It had large French doors that opened to a small balcony. The two skylights made the space bright and washed the soft yellow walls with warmth. The sun reflected off the glossy hardwood floors giving them the appearance of glass. Grandma said that the studio was ripe for inspiration. We would frequently spend hours there painting, sewing, and crafting. I thought that Grandma’s studio was the happiest place on Earth. It was freedom. Of course, I missed my parents at times, but the attention Grandma gave me made me miss her more at the end of every visit. Her face would literally light up when I walked into the room. I could hear the excitement in her voice whenever we spoke on the phone. My parents loved me, but Dad was always consumed with work and Mom was always consumed with him. How would another baby fit into this family? I wasn’t looking forward to sharing Grandma with anybody, but at least my new sibling and I would have each other…
 ******************************
Thanks for reading! Feel free to leave your comments below.
Keep your pen to the paper! Remember, inspiration is everywhere...


No comments:

Post a Comment